My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Decisions Soon

UPDATE: Just a head's up... If you are interested in watching the Stafford/Moreno press conference live, you can do so at GeorgiaDogs.com. I'll have video up afterward as well.

UPDATE: Sorry, thanks to last night's storms, I haven't had Internet access all morning. In any case, as I'm sure you've heard, both Staff and Moreno are holding a news conference at 3 today. I'll have updates as soon as things are official, but I wouldn't hold your breath on anything other than a goodbye. I've been told by several sources that this is a done deal, and that's in line with what everyone else has also been reporting.

From a fan's standpoint, I have no doubt this is a rough day. Professionally speaking, it's impossible to argue with Knowshon's decision. He almost had to go. For Stafford, there's probably a good argument to be made on both sides, but at the end of the day, a No. 1 overall selection -- which he will very likely be -- is nearly impossible to pass up.

I won't argue with anyone who is a.) angry or b.) depressed today. But if I were to offer a bit of armchair psychology for Bulldogs fans, it would be this: Take today to reflect on the best moments you've gotten from these two guys. Most fans will go their entire lives without seeing two players that talented on the same team. Then tomorrow, start thinking about the future -- which given Aaron Murray, Joe Cox, Celeb King, et al, really doesn't seem so bad.

----

The Athens Banner-Herald is reporting that Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno both plan to announce their decisions on their NFL futures today.

Rivals is reporting that sources confirm both will go pro.

I have not gotten anything from sources I would deem credible enough for publication, but I will say that nothing I have heard from numerous second-hand sources would indicate that Rivals' reporting is incorrect.

So, long story short, we'll know more today, but it sounds like Georgia fans have seen the last of Stafford and Moreno in red and black.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooo!!!! It's not true!

Why? I hate them both!

If they stay, I'll be a better fan. I promise!

I can't believe they're leaving.

Okay. We'll still have a good team.
Good luck, guys.

(Denial - Anger - Bargaining - Depression - Acceptance in less than 60 seconds)
I feel better.

Anonymous said...

One question David,
Why call a press conference to announce your leaving. Typically most kids have a press conference to announce their staying. I don't discount various sources but its seems odd that the AD would call a press conference to announce they are leaving.

David Hale said...

That is generally true, but my guess would be that there is so much interest from the media surrounding these two that they were both advised that the simple process for them would be to hold the news conf, answer all the questions now, then not be inundated with private requests for interviews throughout the next few weeks (which may or may not still be the case). I see your point, but my experience with how Georgia's sports info dept. handles things would say that this is not entirely out of the ordinary.

Irwin R. Flecther said...

It is generally a good thing for a program to have guys leave early and go in the first round. It certainly hasn't hurt Florida, Oklahoma, USC or Ohio State.

It is a good sign that you are recruiting the best athletes and a great sign that you will remain attractive to the best athletes.

If you aren't losing guys like Stafford and Moreno early, it is probably a good sign you aren't developing/recruiting/coaching elite talent.

Anonymous said...

"Most fans will go their entire lives without seeing two players that talented on the same team."

That's what is sad about it. No championships; unfinished business. What could have been.

Anonymous said...

Its not going to be Aaron Murray or Joe Cox. Just watch and mark my words. Its going to be (and hopefully will be) Logan Grey. Very Good (not great) arm and LOTS of speed. Totally new look. More similar to D.J. Aaron M. is way too young for next year. Joe Cox...maybe, but not super fast, not super arm, a little short.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of Cox starting, with Gray coming in on certain situations, circa UF in 2006 with Leak and Tebow.

Anonymous said...

in case you guys haven't heard...both Stafford and Moreno are NFL bound.