My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Felton Out, Herrmann In

UPDATES: Couple quick things courtesy of the folks who are actually in Athens right now...

-- Doug Stutsman's story on Felton's dismissal is now posted at Macon.com. You can read it HERE.

-- Trey Thompkins was conspicuously withheld from interviews today.

-- At the UGA-Florida game last night, there were exactly two Georgia reporters at the game -- myself and a reporter from the Red & Black. At basketball practice today, there were 19. I think that says all you need to know about the state of the program.

THE LATEST:
It's official. Georgia has fired head coach Dennis Felton, naming assistant Pete Herrmann as the interim coach effective immediately.

"I'm disappointed that things have not worked out better," athletics director Damon Evans said. "I do think it is in the best interest of our program to move in a new direction.

"We have goals and expectations at Georgia for every sport, and that includes competing for a championship on a regular basis both on the conference and national levels. My No. 1 priority is to do what is best for the basketball program."

Georgia fell to 0-5 in SEC play with an 83-57 loss to Florida Wednesday night in Gainesville, Fla., and is now just 9-11 overall – the worst mark in the SEC. The Bulldogs have lost seven straight games.

"I accepted athletics director Evans’ recommendation with regret, but I believe this decision to be in the best, long-term interest of the men's basketball team," university president Michael F. Adams said. "I also regret the impact this decision has on Coach Felton and his family. Dennis is a good man, and I wish him well in all future endeavors."

Felton was in his sixth season with the program after replacing Jim Harrick. He was 84-91 since taking over as head coach.

It was widely rumored that Felton’s job was in jeopardy at the end of the 2007-08 season, but the Bulldogs’ miracle run to win the SEC tournament championship bought him another season. Felton was plagued by questions about his job prior to the tournament and vowed this year would be different.

“I’m just not going to have that discussion any more,” Felton said before the team opened preseason practice this year. “My mind-set is precisely the same. I’m excited about the future, and I’m focused entirely on building a great basketball program at Georgia.”

Herrmann served as head basketball coach at the U.S. Naval Academy from 1986-92 after six years as chief assistant at Navy. He has also held assistant coaching positions at Western Kentucky, Virginia, and Kansas State.(11:12 a.m.)

** NOTE: As I am on my way back from Gainesville (I swear, Georgia purposely waits until I'm out of town to do these things!), Doug Stutsman will have continuing coverage at www.macon.com this afternoon.

SOURCES: UGA has called a news conference to "discuss the men's basketball program" set for 11 a.m. No details yet beyond that. I'll keep you posted. (9:18 a.m.)

UPDATE: A couple sources reporting that this will indeed be to announce the termination of Dennis Felton. (9:35 a.m.)

1 comment:

E.C.K. said...

What about Craig Robinson. He might be 9-10 at Oregon State but he tripled OSU's conference record this year. Oh and maybe he could bring his brother in law BARACK OBAMA on recruiting visits. Would that be a rules violation?

Seriously, I like the guy at VCU and is there any chance a) we could get Tubby back and b) he would want to come back?