My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thursday Links (9/10)

Happy Thursday, folks. I'm a little pressed for time, and of course, we have our live chat set for noon, so I'll be brief with the links today.

First, a couple of bits of breaking news:

-- UGA Sports is reporting that Logan Gray took over the first-team offense yesterday and is expected to get the start on Saturday due, in part, to a lingering shoulder issue for Joe Cox.

I have spoken with multiple players who told me that isn't true. While Gray did see increased reps with the No. 1 unit, I'm told it was simply a matter of getting him better prepared for times when he is used on game day and that Joe still took the vast majority of the first-team reps.

Now, it's certainly possible UGA Sports has better sources than I do, but we'll find out for sure when we meet with Mark Richt around 4 p.m. today.

UPDATE: ESPN is now reporting the story about Logan Gray as well. Mark Richt's meeting with reporters is set for 4:15 so we should get confirmation then.

UPDATE: According to Claude Felton, the Georgia associate athletics director, Joe Cox is still the starter against South Carolina. Hope that puts the story to bed, but I'll be interested to hear what Mark Richt says today.

-- There was some indecision yesterday on whether Caleb King would see action this weekend, but I'm told through several sources that King does not expect to play and is still experiencing problems with the hamstring, which has limited him since he first injured it Aug. 12.

So... that's your news fix for the morning, how about some linkage?

-- I have a story in today's Telegraph on the football geneology that prepared Arthur Lynch to make a quick impact at Georgia.

-- The bad feelings between Mark Richt and Carver Columbus' coaches have apparently been put to rest, and Georgia's ban has been lifted.

-- Marc Weiszer writes that Branden Smith figures to be a big part of the Georgia offense going forward.

-- Georgia's offense landed in the always entertaining "others receiving votes" portion of ESPN's Bottom 10.

-- Dawgbone has its forecast for the game posted. I like it, and only a in part because it says nice things about me.

-- Jeff Owens is ahead of his time, really. As this ESPN story says, athletes are moving from blogging to Twitter as their primary means of communicating with fans.

-- But Owens still has a new blog post up getting to know a Georgia player you probably don't know much about.

-- Nick Saban is going to be one rich dude.

-- Mark Richt says this week's game could come down to special teams, and South Carolina has some problems of its own in that area. But kicker Spencer Lanning isn't concerned.

-- Example No. 2,463 that Charlie Sheen is nuts: He's demanding a meeting with Obama to investigate 9/11.

(NOTE: I didn't intend to insinuate that attention focused on 9/11 was wrong, I simply meant it seemed absurd for Charlie Sheen to be doing the investigating. No offense intended, and I sincerely apologize if it seemed otherwise.)

-- And finally, I can't believe some Norwegian bus drive stole the name I was planning for my first-born son! (Oddly, I can only assume if I were to have a kid, he'd look JUST like this guy.)

15 comments:

Knowshon4Heisman said...

Are you crazy on the Charlie sheen letter? Have you read that letter?? Read that whole thing and all the linked sources and tell me if he's nuts or not. The issue of 9/11 is extremely more important to our country than any mistakes Sheen has made in his past. How dare you fall into the old media method of discrediting whatever someone says because they've had personal struggles! Think about how much courage it takes to do what he's doing. If you don't know enough about 9/11 to know that Sheen is 100% right, then stick to talking about sports. Sheen is fighting for the American people to get the truth, and for the victim's families. Please don't be one of those short-sighted journalists. Again, go read that whole letter.

Knowshon4Heisman said...

Awwww Justin, why should i shut up? Do you not care about the truth?

David Hale said...

OK, OK, guys. Listen, I just thought it was crazy that Charlie Sheen could DEMAND a meeting with the president. I didn't intend any further judgments. I don't want this to turn into a political discussion. If you want to argue the merits of "Two and a Half Men," by all means. But let's not get into politics. My bad for bringing it up.

MikeInValdosta said...

So much for the escape from reality

Justin said...

Sorry Dave. I took the bait. I knew better. Great work on the blog, by the way. I can't wait until Saturday, not because I think it will be a good game (it won't), but because I'm ready to see this Gray/Cox issue settled once and for all.

Knowshon4Heisman said...

Fair enough David, i just don't like people being called crazy when they question 9/11.

David Hale said...

Fair point K4H... but you have to admit, the whole Denise Richards thing made it a logical conclusion to jump to! You're right though... no joking matter. Sorry again for any offense.

chg said...

It is not a fair point. K4H is endorsing a lunatic fringe belief that should be called out as such anytime someone tries to dress it up as legitimate. Not only are 9-11 conspiracy theorists crazy, but they could potentially create a pernicious cloud of distrust between the people and our government institutions.

It doesn't take "courage" to strip naked and howl at the moon, it takes a complete disconnect from reality.

One would not or should not apologize for offending the sensibilities of a Holocaust denier, and you shouldn't apologize to K4H. On this issue (and I suspect a few others), he's a tinfoil hat wearing nutjob.

David Hale said...

Well, regardless, this is hardly the forum for it, so probably best for me to remove myself from the discussion.

Besides, who needs political hysteria when we have quarterback hysteria to talk about?

MikeInValdosta said...

and.... coaches doing their best "who's on first" routine.

Knowshon4Heisman said...

Wow 'chg,' you're so off base. I offer you the same challenge, go read that article and all the links and tell me i'm a lunatic, http://www.infowars.com/twenty-minutes-with-the-president/ . Keep in mind that 6 of the 10 9/11 commissioners are now on my side! You're 'cloud of distrust' already exists i'm afraid, which shows that you are the one who's not in touch with reality. What do you do when you can't debate the facts, start name-calling, cuz that's all you did right there.

Dawgpa12 said...

No need to apologize David. There are a bunch of nuts out there. I guess even a few are Dawg fans. Thanks for the great job on the blog. I read it everyday and I for one love the LOST references :)

nader paul kucinich gravel said...

Ventura Sheehan Perot Paul Nader McKinney Kucinich Kaptur Gravel Gonzalez Clemente Choate Carter Baldwin Anderson

Israel-first dual-nationals of AIPAC
Willful major media disinformation
Federal Reserve scam
Anthrax intimidation
9/11 sham

chg said...

I like that in his response K4H surrounded chg with quotes as if to say, 'IF that is your real name.'

It's not, but I would love to see Knowshon4Heisman on a driver's license.

Knowshon4Heisman said...

Fine mr. or mrs. chg, next time why don't u try typing in something relevant to the discussion.