My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Few Quick Words

Hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing weekend. I'm headed to Orlando for a few days, but I'll be continuing to update the blog this coming week. Before I hit the road, however, I wanted to address a couple quick things...

First, thanks to all of you who wrote or commented following my post yesterday. In retrospect, I feel a little foolish having even written it. From the amazingly supportive replies from all of you, it's pretty clear it wasn't necessary. I greatly appreciate all the kind words and comments, and in the future I'll try to keep those in mind before I decide to get too worked up about one critique I find particularly offensive.

Having said all that, I wanted to assure you that, had the criticism not come from another media professional, I definitely would not have responded as I did. I think those of us in the business need to be held to a slightly different standard than the average anonymous message board poster, which was what really got to me, I guess. But, I don't want my response to this to in any way keep you all from feeling free to hit me with a few low blows whenever they are necessary -- whether it's enlightening me about something stupid I wrote or correcting some poor grammar, as this anonymous poster did...

So maybe it was not "I" who was uninformed here.

If you are going to invoke journalistic integrity...


Well, said, Anon. Well said.

Anyway, the other thing I wanted to note was this message, posted yesterday at Dawgbone.net.


Dawgbone is taking an indefinite hiatus from the Internet. We don't know what the future will be for the site. Thank you all for your interest the last 5 1/2 years.

This is definitely sad news for those of us who both read and produce Georgia blogs. Dawgbone is without rival in terms of collecting Bulldogs stories for readers and has been a tremendous asset to me in terms of both tracking down information and in driving readership to my site. As a blogger who tries to round up stories on Georgia sports on a (semi) daily basis, I can also understand just how time consuming the work Dawgbone has done must have been.

In any case, I wanted to send a big thanks to Dawgbone and wish them the best of luck in the future.

3 comments:

IveyLeaguer said...

David,

FWIW, I thought your piece on the Kiffin style was some of the best work you've done. There's a lot to be said and written about recruiting styles and practices in the next few years and it's just beginning. So I'm glad to know you're thinking about it because you're looking in the right direction.

Certainly Meyer's style is way different from Kiffin's, as is Saban's, and there is great contrast there, but the greatest contrast is the one you chose, Georgia's. Kiffin's style is loud, boisterous, and self-centered - Richt's is quiet, humble, and caring. One style accepts and swallows whatever popular culture gives it, the other filters everything through time-tested principles. One is superficial and will produce on the whole superficial men. The other has depth and will produce young men who are largely responsible, family men. There are exceptions to each, of course, but we could go on and on.

I don't see anything wrong with what you wrote. Kiffin's West Coast style is going to either backfire, or infect the most of the SEC, as we can see already. SEC recruiting had enough blemishes before Kiffin got here. Let's hope the League vomits this virus back to where it came from.

The kids who play in the SEC now and in the future will be much the better off for it.

~~~

BulldogBry said...

Stop. You had me at "retrospect".


b/t/w, I don't really follow recruiting sites. At the end of the day, those recruiting sites are like strip clubs. You can spend $100 quickly, have them tell you what you want to hear, but you'll still go home "three dimensional".

MikeInValdosta said...

LOL. I guess you got me with the "semi-daily" updates.

One day, when it is needed, this "Bulldogs Bold" is gonna make one helluva resume entry.

I just hope your new position will be advertising supported so you do not have to resort to ripping free sites. :-)