My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Samuel Hopes to be Bigger, Better

Caleb King is atop Georgia's depth chart at running back at the moment, head coach Mark Richt said, but Richard Samuel hasn't exactly had a fair shot to change that mix yet thanks to a wrist injury that kept him out of spring practice.

That should change by the time fall practice starts, Samuel said.

“I feel like I'm getting close," Samuel said. "I've started doing lifting and everything. The only lift I haven't done is power clean, and I'm getting there."

Samuel said he lost about eight pounds following his surgery because of his reduced workout routine, but he has gained most of that back already. As important as getting physically prepared for the spring, however, Samuel said the time off gave him some time to study the fundamentals of his position.

"I feel like it cost me my strength, and I lost a little bit of strength in that time," Samuel said. "But I was able to sit down in the film room and in my room and study the playbook more."

Getting bigger isn't exactly what many fans were worried about, however. At 220 pounds -- and he said he wouldn't mind adding a few more -- Samuel has always looked more the part of a linebacker than a tailback, and throughout his freshman campaign, he seemed to play the part, too.

While Samuel said he learned a lot from his first season on the field, shying away from contact wasn't one of them. He said that's his style, and people should probably get used to it.

"I've been working on blocking a little bit better and catching the ball a little bit better," Samuel said. "Size, that doesn't matter to me. That's the style I like to play. I like playing aggressive, so taking on hits and giving hits is not a problem for me."

Samuel said he'll meet with doctors again in late July or early August before being given the final go-ahead to resume all football activities.

"I'm eager to get back into the swing of things and start playing again, to show what I can do."

1 comment:

jferg said...

DH,
Thanks for the RS update. I hope his tenacity either pushes King to do great things...or out of his way so RS can shine. Either is good by me!