My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesday Links (2/16)

No witty banter or discussions of "Lost" today... just straight to the links...

-- Tyler Estep wrote a story for The Telegraph over the weekend on the upcoming battle for the starting quarterback job and what Aaron Murray's role in that competition will be.

-- Tim Tucker has quotes from Murray on the QB race, too. My only complaint...

"We have an unbelievable offense for next season. You look at the offensive line; we have, like, seven or eight [players with starting experience]. The skill positions are unbelievable. It’s not going to be all on your shoulders. We have a great running game, two great young running backs. With that offensive line, we should put up some great numbers on the running game. So I really don’t feel that whoever wins the [QB] job is going to really have that much pressure on them because it’s a balanced attack."

Um... isn't this almost word-for-word what we heard last year, and then the O line didn't live up to expectations and the entire offense was put on the shoulders of Joe Cox for much of the season?

I'm not saying Murray is wrong, but I am saying I'm taking a much more cautious approach to those sentiments this time around.

-- Our man Tim also has quotes coming from Zach Mettenberger and from Logan Gray on the QB chase.

A lot of people have asked about how seriously Logan should be taken as a potential starting QB in 2010. I'm honestly not sure what the coaches are thinking right now, but all the "will he, won't he" stuff about the potential position change and continued talk from Mark Richt that Gray "might try both" during spring leads me to believe this is still very much Aaron Murray's job to lose.

-- Georgia picked up its third commitment for 2011 yesterday.

-- Patrick Garbin runs down his list of the top five Bulldogs who need to step up their game in 2010 in order for Georgia to be successful. Tough to argue with the list, though I'd say there are probably a few names Garbin had trouble leaving off, too.

-- Bleacher Report sees big things ahead for Rantavious Wooten this season.

-- The AJC has some old video footage up, including a brilliant dunk by Travis Leslie... from high school.

-- Georgia Sports Blog looks to the future and sees a recruit who could be the next Travis Leslie.

-- Chance Veazey is being honored at the state capitol tomorrow.

-- Bulldog in Exile shakes his head in disbelief that anyone would want to make Herschel Walker angry before a fight.

-- So Nick Saban has more Facebook friends than God. Remember, things started going downhill for Homer's barbershop quartet after they named their second album, "Bigger Than Jesus."




-- I missed this over the weekend, but The Dawg's View has yet another ridiculous wrinkle in the proposed new "tougher" rules regarding taunting.

-- The Telegraph's Ed Grisamore has a great piece on UGA grad Ernie Johnson -- now the anchor of TNT's NBA coverage (alongside Rodney Garner's cousin, Mr. Charles Barkley).

(Side note: I'm completely creeped out by the Charles Barkley rapping Taco Bell commercial for some reason. It just makes me uncomfortable watching it.)

-- Minnesota Twins releif pitcher Pat Neshek received the worst bit of fan mail an athlete can get, short of having it come from a stalker.

-- Am I the only one who has noticed ESPN is giving the Winter Olympics essentially the same coverage as it gives hockey? Perhaps this quiz puts the decision into perspective: IKEA product or Swedish Olympian? (h/t Grit Tree)

-- Conan O'Brien enjoys the Al Gore method of coping with defeat... i.e., growing a ridiculous beard.

-- Kevin from "Top Chef" is planning to open up a barbecue restaurant in Atlanta. Can't wait!

-- This blog counts down the best slacker duos in movie history. Is it bad that I own the vast majority of these movies on DVD?

-- HBO has brought in the director of "The Hurt Locker" to create a new pilot . I loved the film, so I'm intrigued.

Oh, and if you're looking for movie recommendations (other than "The Hurt Locker," which if you haven't seen, you really, really should... check out "Moon" starring Sam Rockwell.)

-- And finally, I just wanted to say thanks to Bernie, Grit Tree, Dawg Sports, CNati and the many others of you who provided far too many kind words over the past few days. I feel like I got the Drew Brees treatment without winning a Super Bowl (and, you know, without Oprah trying to rub a birthmark off my face), but it is nevertheless very appreciated. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Castleberry said...

Thanks David,
I saw Moon Saturday night. Good pic.
So, my Tech season ticket order forms showed up yesterday. My cumulative "score" with the Hartman fund still doesn't let me in through the Georgia ticket office so I buy Tech tix every other year. Some comments...
1. Their home schedule is a joke. Miami is the only challenge.
2. Their road schedule looks very difficult. I'm curious how they'll handle it.
3. And this is the one where I'm curious if you can follow up... The road ticket price for Tech fans to come to Athens this Fall is $75. I am thinking that the nerds will have to pay the same price they charged for tickets in Atlanta. I doubt UGA is charging more than the normal $42 face. Any chance you can get a story on the pricing and what we're doing with the extra $33 for each Tech fan??