My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Murray Talks Arrests, Gloves & Colt McCoy

A few bits of insight from Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray...

On what Zach Mettenberger's arrest means to the QB competition...
“People are probably going to think it’s a good thing that it’s clearing things up, but it’s making us better, the competition. It’s making everyone work harder. I don’t think it’s changing anything. We’re still competing.”

On how Mettenberger is handling things...
“I think he’s fine. When he first got back, there were probably some questions. We’re not little kids. We’re not going to go around talking behind each others backs. What happened, happened. We’ve just got to move on. We’re too focused on spring right now to let something like that distract us.”

On if this is a good reminder that the spotlight is always on a UGA QB...
“It’s definitely an eye-opener because not everyone in the world is going to like you, and if someone sees you out and doing something stupid, there’s going to be someone who points a finger and says, ‘Hey, let’s get him in trouble. He’s a big-time guy.’ When you’re a top quarterback at a top university, people are going to try to bring you down. It’s tough. You always have to watch your back and make sure you’re doing the right thing at all times. No one’s perfect. No one doesn’t go out there and make mistakes. He just got caught this time.”

On whether this makes him more aware of the public spotlight...
“I’m definitely more aware. Everyone’s watching your back, no matter what. In Georgia, they love football and they love their players. You really can’t go anywhere without someone knowing who you are and knowing you’re on the football team. So you really have to be respectful to everyone you meet and watch your back because there are going to be people who want to be the guy who took him down or got him arrested. So you’ve got to watch your back and be careful. … I knew it coming in. I think the year before I got here, with all the arrests – I don’t know how many but it was a big deal – that really got my attention. Athens is a fun place, but there’s a lot of temptation and trouble and you just really have to be careful what you’re doing.”

On deciding to wear a glove during practice...
“About a month and half ago, it was in the 30s and we were doing some pass and receivers. It was freezing out. Someone gave me a glove. I was freezing, it was cold out and I thought it was too cold to catch the ball. I used it. I liked it. I got a good grip on the ball. So I was like, ‘Whatever, I might as well try it out for the next couple of weeks and see what it is.’ It was still cold out. I tried it out. I got more comfortable with it. I felt like I was throwing the ball with more control and I had better grip. I tried it for about a month and finally I talked to coach Bobo and coach Richt about it. They said it’s sproing ball, and if you want to try something, now is the time to try it out. I really felt like I’ve had more control on the ball the first few practices. You know, tighter spirals and everything like that. … I just felt good with it, so I tried it out for a couple more weeks, and I talked to the coaches and they said if I wanted to try it out, spring’s a good time to try it out.”

On former Texas QB Colt McCoy saying he was one of the best young QBs he'd seen...
“Colt was a really good guy. I worked with him at the Elite 11. He’s a tremendous quarterback and helped us out a lot – Zach and I being there – he worked with us a lot. He was a really down-to-earth kind of guy who wasn’t one of those, ‘Yo, I’m Colt McCoy and I’m a big-time quarterback, and you’re just little high school kids.’ He was out there working with us each day and trying to make sure we were getting better. So that’s pretty cool that he said that.”

No comments: