My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Links (3/14)

Sorry for the lack of posts the last couple of days. A family emergency forced me to head straight from Nashville back home to Delaware, so I'm a little out of pocket. I'm hoping to be back in Athens in time for Pro Day and the reboot of spring practice on Tuesday, but that's a bit up in the air still.

I should have a few posts regardless, but not as many as usual. In the meantime though, a few links...

-- Mark Fox sees Year 1 as a major building blocks for the revitalized Bulldogs.

-- The Grit Tree looks at the significant progress made by Georgia in 2010.

-- It's an interesting world we live in now that there's a site called DraftNasty.com and I'm actually reading it. Anyway, they have an interview up with Reshad Jones. (h/t Senator)

-- Giants 101 has an interview with former Bulldog Danny Ware.

-- The Elvis Skinner looks in depth at Caleb King and Washaun Ealey to find out if one stood out over the other in the Bulldogs' backfield.

-- Leather Helmet Blog has a classic interview with sack master Richard Tardits.

-- Dancing in the Endzone has a piece about Tim Tebow's Wonderlic score with a link to a sample exam. (I scored a 40... but I've also never circumsized a baby.)

-- If Bill Stewart is even half right about the changes in store for college football, it would mean a seizmic shift in the sport's landscape.

-- Uga8 has an update on Georgia's streaking men's tennis team, which now boasts a home winning streak of 70 matches.

-- TwinCities.com has a good story on Minnesota Twins outfielder Denard Span, who, as you may remember, is close friends with current Georgia Bulldog Josh Murray.

-- Wherever you fall on the health care debate, this is an incredibly troubling report. (Update: See my follow-up in the comments section for clarification on this link.)

-- A major character is leaving "Parks and Recreation."

-- "24" could be saved by a move to NBC (if you call that being saved).

-- Sadly, it doesn't sound like Amy Ryan will be turning up on "The Office" again any time soon. (Which I'm even sadder about after having rewatched Season 2 of "The Wire" recently... she's great.)

OK, that's all I've got for now. Enjoy watching some hoops today and hopefully I'll have another post or two tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it was the women's tennis team streaking, then I'd be interested.

David Hale said...

Anon -- Hilarious!

Also, I posted this on the other version of the blog and wanted to re-post here, since my link to the maternal death rates story seems to have stirred up some controversy...

I truly was not trying to push an opinion on anyone, but rather simply pass along the article which -- for stats purposes -- I found interesting and concerning. (My sister is due in a month, so I have a bit of a personal stake in those reports, too.)

I any case, what I meant to imply with "whichever side of the issue you're on" was that I didn't think that report had anything to do with the "health care issue" but rather was simply a health issue in general. What I was hoping by writing "whichever side you're on" was that the article could be approached without any bias from your opinion about Obamacare and public options, etc.

As Brad pointed out, there is a ton of free medical care available to expecting mothers, and our national healthcare has not changed drastically during the time period in question -- so I'm not sure that has much to do with the statistics. I considered the story a health story and not a health care story, which is why I linked to it. Upon hearing your comments though, I'll do my best to be a bit more conservative in which stories like that I select for links in the future. (And by conservative I mean careful, not right-leaning).

Anyway, long story short -- this was in no way meant to change anyone's mind on health care reform but rather to simply pass along some info on a health-related issue if you were interested in reading it (which obviously, you weren't obligated to). I'm agreement that this is not a political blog, and I have no intentions of pushing my opinions on you here. That wasn't my intention and, my guess is, the assumption many drew about what opinion I was trying to push is actually pretty far from what my actual take on health care reform is.

Columbia Dawg said...

David,

First, anytime CNN writes an article that deals with politics, it has an agenda, the article will not be balanced. I could write three pages of questions and comments that the article ignores. Remember the old saying: there are lies and damned lies, then there's statistics!

Second, per "generally accepted accounting principles" (GAAP), the United States of America is financially BANKRUPT. We are the world's biggest debtor, we are in no way "resource-rich". Remember, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Third, your blog is by far the best one out there dealing with sports and entertainment. We read it for entertainment, please don't mess it up. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Also, one of the reasons our death rate among babies being born is because we count all live births as just that live births.

Stillborn do not count against it. The socialized medicine countries in Europe count babies who die in the first 24 hours as stillborn. Here in the U.S. we spend countless dollars trying to save every birth, but if the baby dies in the first 24 hours, we count against us.

I have two children, both born prematurely. One almost 2 months premature and I think God everyday they were born in Rome, GA and not some places in Canada which end up sending the Premies to Minnesota to be taken care of.

There were 12-15 incubators at Floyd Medical. Which is more than some Canadian provinces.

I guess you can tell which side of the debate I am on. Keep our medical system exactly the same, it is the best in the world bar none.