My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday Links (11/10)

A couple of odds and ends to pass along this morning...

-- Got this from the show's creator and figured I'd pass it along...

“Masters of the Tailgate Spotlights UGA Tailgaters’ School Pride and Southern Tradition"

This college football season brought a new Versus TV show into Bulldog territory. “Masters of the Tailgate”, a show with a mission to find the best college tailgate in the nation, chose UGA as one of four schools this year to highlight for its debut series. The production crew arrived at the UGA campus on Octover 3, 2009, to film the festivities before the LSU vs. Georgia game. Among the features to be included on the UGA tailgate include local food and traditions, the Dog Walk and the history of Sanford Stadium and its famous live Mascot, Uga.

Viewers vote online for their favorite tailgate, and this season will also have a chance to vote for Ohio State University, University of Florida, and University of Central Florida. “Masters of the Tailgate” will feature one college football tailgate per week. The episode on UGA tailgating will air on November 11, 2009 at 4:30 p.m. EST on Versus. To view photos from the October 3, 2009 tailgate or for more show information, visit www.mastersofthetailgate.com.

-- And finally, you may have noticed that I had to make a change to the way comments are posted on the blog. Thanks to a series of absurdly childish and profane posts from losers with a problematic combination of cheap beer, too much free time and a modem, I had to set up the comments to be moderated by me prior to being posted.

I did not do this to censor your thoughts on the team in any way, and I will not zap any posts simply because they are critical of Georgia, a coach, myself or anything like that. But racist, sexist, homophobic or otherwise ignorant language has no place here, and I won't allow that to be posted, no matter how funny some small-minded a$$hole thinks it is.

Obviously adding more work to my job description is not something I'm looking forward to doing, so my hope is that this will be just a temporary issue. We'll see how things go for the next few days or few weeks and ideally get back to the normal procedure soon.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Now... on to some links...

-- I can't take credit for this headline, but I'm guessing someone on the Telegraph's copy desk was angling for a Barnes & Noble gift card that comes with writing the month's top headline.

-- Here's why The Senator's blog is so great: His first thoughts on a game are generally some of the best thoughts you'll read all week. This week is no different, as he points out some key issues going into the showdown with Auburn.

-- The whole gimmicky uniform thing has worn out its welcome now, but The Grit Tree fondly remembers the first blackout against Auburn two years ago.

-- Track 'Em Tigers calls this week's game the best rivalry in college football, and from a pure enjoyment perspective, it's hard to argue.

-- One of the reasons the Auburn-Georgia rivalry is such an interesting one is because of the huge number of Peach State players suiting up for the Tigers.

-- Some poster named "The Fishonator" gets this week's rivalry off to a rollicking start with some Georgia jokes on the message board at SEC Talk. I'm sure you guys can add a few Auburn quips of your own to the mix.

-- The AJC writes about Chris Todd's success in the face of immense doubt from the bloggers. (BTW, you know it's bad when newspapers are now writing stories about how players react to criticism from bloggers. Umm... don't newspapers offer criticism, too? Oh, no one reads those anymore? OK, carry on then...)

-- Braves and Birds writes that the difference between UGA and Georgia Tech isn't nearly as big as many observers are making it out to be. (h/t GTP)

-- Remember that loss to Tennessee? Maybe it was just wrong place, wrong time against a late-blooming quarterback.

-- Bernie has his Mumme Poll ballot in, and the results should be out a bit later today.

-- If ever there was evidence that money doesn't buy taste, Tiger Woods' new home must be it. (h/t Jim F.)

-- Michigan's athletics director goes all Al Cowlings on a few students... "I'm the A.D. dammit! You know who I am!"

-- You know what really upsets me about this time of year? Cincinnati's players have worked absurdly hard to get in a position to finish up undefeated and turn in the best season in the program's history... but it could be derailed because the rumors are now heating up about Notre Dame wanting Brian Kelly.

-- Normally I'd say this was a bit too early to start talking about the 2010 baseball hall of fame ballot, but if Joe Posnanski's writing about it, then it's A-OK.

-- For those of you who needed a little pick-me-up on a dreary Tuesday, I have one word for you: Guttenberg!

-- Pop Candy has its list of the five best musical guest stars on "The Simpsons." I'll offer a few of my favorite lines from those episodes:

"Billy Corigan, Smashing Pumpkins."
"Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

---

"You know, my kids think you're the greatest. And thanks to your gloomy music, they've finally stopped dreaming of a future I can't possibly provide."

---

"I called my good friend Sting. He said, 'Krusty, when do you need me?' I said, 'Thursday.' He said, 'I’m busy Thursday.' I said, 'What about Friday?' He said, 'Friday’s worse than Thursday.' Then he said, 'How about Saturday?' I said, 'Fine.' True story.

-- This is a sad story: The drummer from !!! and several other indy bands died over the weekend after falling down an elevator shaft.

-- I was pleased with the premier of "V" last week. Hopefully the series lives up to its first episode. Anyway, Elizabeth Mitchell discusses her role on that show and "Lost" in this interview.

-- And finally, congrats to Jim Boeheim on win No. 800. I was thrilled to see Julie Boeheim -- by far the most attractive coach's wife in college sports -- on TV last night, but the photo of Coach B used in The Post-Standard was probably far more appropriate.

5 comments:

Streit said...

Bubba and myself (Streit) from Bubba N Earl appear in the episode of Masters of The Tailgate. We will have a story up about it later today.

Will Q said...

It's too bad you have to moderate comments now, but it's probably all for the best. The comments left on your blog and most of the other UGA blogs I read have taken a sharp downward turn now that the commenters from the AJC and Dawgpost have discovered them. Some comments are like reading Jim Rome rants.

Anonymous said...

Jerry Fuchs was also the drummer of Athens own Maserati. (along with DFA's "house" drummer. He played with LCD Soundsystem, The Juan Maclean, etc.)

This is a HUGE loss for fans of Maserati and the indie-disco scene.

RIP

Carter said...

Dave,

Does UGA prefer to have one PPV game a year for extra revenue, or is it something that they resort to only after being passed over by all the SEC TV outlets?

Back in August Makiri Pugh was getting a lot of praise, and there was talk of him getting work at nickel and safety. However, the only time I have heard his name mentioned since the season started was when he had the swine. Is he not getting playing time, injured, or have I just been overlooking him?


Thanks

Anonymous said...

While the uniform changes are certainly gimmicky, I'd love to see us go with black jerseys for Auburn every time we play them at home.

Traditions have to be started somewhere, and I think that would be a pretty cool one.