My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuesday Links (12/1)

Still no news coming out of UGA on the future of Georgia's coaching staff. But we shouldn't have expected info today... after all, it's a holiday.

What's that? You weren't aware that Dec. 1 was a holiday? Well then you're missing out.

This is actually among my favorite days of the year because it is when I can officially start celebrating the holidays.

I'm an avid critic of all the Christmas hype that starts in August, so about 10 years ago I created a personal rule that I could only watch my favorite holiday movie during the month of December. So now, each year, I wait patiently for Dec. 1, then take the majority of the day off from anything stressful, order some takeout from an unhealthy restaurant and settle in on my couch for my first (of many) viewing of the year of "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."

There really is no better way to spend the day.

But before I get to that, I figured I ought to make sure those poor saps stuck at work without access to their DVD players have something to occupy their time, so here are a handful of links to get you through the remainder of your day.

-- If you're in to reading tea leaves about the whole Willie Martinez situation, Mark Richt dangled a few more potential clues -- or red herrings, or simple meaningless statements -- on his radio show last night. But what he still hasn't said is, "Yes, I'm making changes," or "No, everyone's staying."

-- Damon Evans' take on things hasn't changed much... he'll do "what's appropriate." Good to know.

-- Georgia Sports Blog chronicles the ill-fated PowerAde bath.

-- Hey Jenny Slater relishes rubbing Tech's nose in it after so much pregame chest-thumping.

-- The Senator continues to bask in the afterglow of Georgia's weekend win just a little longer.

-- There has been plenty of "if only" talk about this year's Bulldogs, but Rex Robinson does a nice job of putting it all into perspective when he notes that it's not Georgia that had the ultimate "if only."

-- Dawg Stephen pays tribute to Georgia's resident lunatic, Ben Jones. (And yes, I mean "lunatic" as a compliment.)

-- If you haven't seen the Matthew Stafford mic'd up highlights from the Lions-Browns game yet, do yourself a favor and watch it right now. (h/t Patrick)

-- Brandon Marshall and Knowshon Moreno appear to have mended fences, but of course, I left Knowshon on my bench this week in my fantasy football game, which I lost by 6 points.

-- Florida defensive lineman Carlos Dunlap was arrested on drunk driving charges, which makes for a dicey situation for Corch Meyers.

-- LSU is investigating potential NCAA violations.

-- It looks like Ole Miss is indeed heading to the Cotton Bowl, which is one more piece to the puzzle to get Georgia to Atlanta for its bowl game.

-- Doug Marrone isn't being quite as cautious in his decision making as Richt. He canned three assistants at Syracuse yesterday.

-- Yahoo! looks at the top 10 draft busts of the 2000s in the NFL.

-- Whether you agree with his politics or not, I think you'll find plenty to argue with on Keith Olbermann's take on this year's baseball Hall of Fame ballot. (Harold Baines, yes? Barry Larkin, no? Worst. Person. In the World.)

-- One of the writers of "Pulp Fiction" is apparently Tweeting from prison. You know, I distinctly remember getting into a discussion with a fellow journalism instructor a few years ago in which I said that, strictly speaking, things like Facebook posts and MySpace messages were news. He said that was dumb. And now not a day goes by in which the media isn't quoting Sarah Palin's Facebook page or some athlete's Twitter account. I was really ahead of my time. Like Devo.

-- When technology goes very, very wrong. (h/t B-Perk)

-- The New Yorker goes undercover with a Michelin Guide inspector. Interesting stuff.

-- I enjoyed this column from Ames Progressive about how a UGA grad thinks his Iowa hometown can learn a few things from Athens about how to develop an original music scene.

-- TV Tango has a list of the best songs by fake TV bands. Some good selections but there's no way you can leave "Friends Forever" by the Zack Attack off your list.

-- Hooray! "Scrubs" is back.

-- How come viewers in Spain get a better promo for the final season of "Lost" than we do?


And finally... sled safely.

13 comments:

Clark said...

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Anonymous said...

I've already got two xmas vaca viewings under my belt this year. My goal is to hit double digits.

Universal Remonster said...

Why is the floor wet?!

Anonymous said...

Christmas Vacation, Scrooged, and A Christmas Story...all required viewing in my household during the month of December.

devildawgNC said...

Awesome. I splurged and watched it last night because I thought it was December 1st (I allow nothing Christmas-y until December; it's just too much). I blame the mistake on a memorandum I received noting reports were due by Thursday, Dec. 4th, which led me to believe (without double checking elsewhere) that it was already the 1st. What a waste...

At least now I can watch the return of the bromance tonight!

Any idea when we'd be likely to hear anything on the staff? I've heard theories that we're gunning for a DC from one of the SEC CG teams, and so won't make the move until after this weekend. I'm assuming that's as invented as so much of the money that's revitalized our economy, but figured you might have a thought on it.

Also, since I'm feeling speculative: will we have another O-line shakeup next year with Trinton back?

Will Q said...

Funny story about "Christmas Vacation" that explains why I take movie critics' opinions with a grain of salt:

I was watching a call-in show with a movie critic as a guest (I think it was Larry King with Roger Ebert) on which the topic was the greatest Christmas movies. A caller phoned in and mentioned "Christmas Vacation," which of course had been ignored for more traditional fare like "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street." Ebert had to bumble for a few moments before he could even remember that Chevy Chase was in the movie.

Please.

My wife and I watched "Nothing Like the Holidays" (a pretty good movie) a few days ago. It has this deadly serious sub-plot that almost ruins the comedy of the film. I bemoaned to my wife the fact no one makes "Christmas Vacation"/"A Christmas Story"-type movies anymore; everything is either for kids (ala "The Santa Claus") or is a dramedy (ala "The Family Stone").

Blue Gill said...

"Eddie I couldn't be more surprised if I woke up in the morning with my head sewn to the carpet"

Christmas Vacation is one of the best ever.

jferg said...

That there Clark's an R-V....

I should say it? Hello everybody...I should say it? hello everybody...

$hitter's full!


Our house has the same tradition...Christmas Vacation is a classic hoiday starter!

Anonymous said...

FYI...Nat. Lam. X-Mas Vac is coming on AMC 2nite @ 8

Ty Durden said...

Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.

Mickey McCale said...

GREAT video and micing of Stafford.....DGD.

Will Q said...

"It wouldn't be the holiday season if stores weren't any hooter than they--hotter than they are."

Anonymous said...

You and Clark W. Griswald have the same boss: Mr. Shirley.