My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

UGA Taking PETA Request Seriously

Apparently the cause for the delay in naming the new Uga had less to do with finding a replacement and more to do with Georgia actually considering a request to replace the famed mascot with a robotic alternative.

PETA requested Georgia switch from a live dog on the sidelines to a robotic one after Uga VII passed away last November. At the time, the school made no remarks about the likelihood of taking the request under consideration, but a source within the administrations now tells me they're preparing to do exactly that.

Reports indicate that several prototype mascots were created by engineering students at Georgia Tech in a secret competition to build the new Uga robot. All Tech students who participated in the contest were first obligated to sign a confidentiality notice before they were even fully informed of the aim of the contest.

I'm stunned by the news, but the source giving me the information has always been credible in the past.

Live dogs have been a presence on the Georgia field for more than half a century, so the change would no doubt meet with an intense backlash from fans, but marketing consultant April Scherz said she sees some opportunity for the school, too.

"From a marketing standpoint, I'm sure plenty of people will be tuning in to get a look at the robotic dog," Sherz said. "It's a chance for Georgia to change its image and set a new standard on how the school reacts to public sentiment."

Or it could be a complete disaster.

Obviously none of this is finalized yet, but a deal on the new robot could be struck as early as next week.

Let's wait and see how this plays out, but my guess is this would be one more nail in Michael Adams' coffin with fans following the new tailgating restrictions announced last month.

Sonny Seiler was not available for comment.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

And Happy April Fool's Day to you too.

#1 Lost Fan said...

Nice one Hale. By the way I was just on imdb.com and saw that Lost the movie is in pre production. It's due out spring 2012. I gotta tell you I'm not surprised. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

The better one would've been if you'd said that the staff has decided to exclusively use the directional kickoff all season again!

Trey said...

Ha.

jferg said...

Nice!

On a side, somewhat related, note. Can you do an interview with the Seiler family and ask them if, in light of the recent uga's health problems, they are going to consider changing future uga's diet to be a little more healthy? I recall something about them giving uga a bowl of ice cream every night before bed. probably not the best idea for an already short life-expectancy canine... I'm just sayin'

Will Q said...

You had me going for a second there. Nice one.

Anonymous said...

Yep, had me going until I read the part about it being designed by Georgia Tech students. Hahaha.

Universal Remonster said...

Nicely done.

MikeInValdosta said...

It is about time!

fourboysbrewpub said...

Whoa, had me there for a second till I remembered what today is. Good on though.

Will said...

I just heard Perno signed Harvard transfer pitcher Sidd Finch.
He's got a pretty mean fastball...

NCT said...

Very nice. But honestly? The italicized letters were too much. You've got to be satisfied with your skill enough to live with its going unnoticed by some.

David Hale said...

I hear ya, NCT, but these days, you have to make sure people are in on the joke or I get a call from my editor after he gets a call from Damon Evans... and all of it ends badly for me.