My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 20, 2009

It's Opening Day!

As you're no doubt aware, Georgia's baseball season starts today with Game 1 of a three-game set against Youngstown State at Foley Field.

I have a story up at Macon.com that offers a brief preview of the season and the impact Trevor Holder could have this year.

And if you still need some more info on the baseball team, check out 960 the Ref's interview with former third baseman Ryan Peisel and Chip Towers' discussion of Georgia's new bats this year.

And if that's not enough, here's some insight from Holder, himself...

On replacing Georgia's departed starts...
"Last year we had a bunch of older guys in (Gordon) Beckham and (Josh) Fields, and it's hard to replace two first rounders, but we've taken that as a challenge. These guys have worked so hard and the young guys have come in, and the guys last year that were in the back of the bus, they're in the front now."

On why he decided to return to UGA...
"It's one of those things that what Georgia has done for me, the three years I've been here have just been amazing, and I talked to Coach Perno and he said a bunch of young guys are going to come in and be good, and I just felt like there was that unfinished business. It's so hard to get out there and taste it -- one game away -- and I really think we can make a run at it."

On how he can improve this year...
"Last year I kind of fell off and got a little weak. I had a little injury toward the end, and I told myself that's not going to happen this year, I'm going to be stronger than I ever have before."

On how much last year's CWS loss is talked about...
"It's kind of an unspoken thing. It's tough to talk about it being so close and not getting it, but everything works out in the end. I think that maybe we lost last year to give us more motivation to win it this year. It's a motivating factor for everybody that was on that team last year, and I think the young guys could see that when they came in. That's definitely a motivating factor. It'll piss you off for sure."

On this year's bullpen...
"We've got a great blend of guys. Last year we had Fields and he was the stopper, but this year we've got a couple guys that can do that. Our bullpen was a little shaky at times last year, but this year we've got guys that are going to come in there and throw strikes."

On his role this year...
"You dream about pitching on Friday nights in the SEC. I took it as a challenge last year, and this year, this is what you dream of. This is the role, the level of competition and the energy that this place has, you've got to welcome it. I love that stuff. I love all the lights on me, and all those guys behind me, and all those guys just competing for one thing. It's amazing."

No comments: