My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thompkins enters draft, signs with agent

It's official: Trey Thompkins' career at Georgia is over.

The junior forward is entering the draft and signing with an agent, he announced through the UGA men's basketball program on Tuesday.

"I have spoken with my family and coaches about my situation, and I feel that it's best for me to forgo my senior season and enter the NBA Draft," Thompkins said in a statement. "I would just like to thank everyone who has supported me in this decision."

"We certainly appreciate Trey's contributions to the program and we wish him well in the pursuit of his dreams," Georgia head coach Mark Fox said in the statement.

(Fox is due to meet with local media on Tuesday afternoon.)

Thompkins' decision is not a big surprise, as he is regarded as a likely first-round pick. The 6-foot-9 forward from Lithonia was a first-team All-SEC pick this season, when he led Georgia in scoring and rebounding.

Aran Smith, the president of NBAdraft.net, said scouts have high regard for Thompkins.

"Thompkins is the most skilled bigman in the entire draft," Smith wrote in an e-mail. "He's a virtual lock first rounder who should find a spot in the mid-teens to early 20s. His polish and offensive touch are ideal for the NBA game. Despite being just an average athlete and having an average year by his standards, his length and skill level makes him intriguing to scouts."

No comments: