My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday Links (10-7)

Happy Wednesday, folks. You may recall my New Year's resolution to actually visit a gym from time to time. I've been less than successful at consistently reaching that goal for the past nine months, but now I'm at a crossroads. My girlfriend signed me up for a 5k at the end of this month, which I'm embarrassed to say, I'm not at all positive I'm in good enough shape to complete. I mean, sure, I can make it 5 kilometers, but I'll probably have to stop for some BBQ and a Yuengling along the way.

Nevertheless, it has two big upsides. First, I'm hitting the gym with a renewed vigor, so as to not embarrass myself too badly. Second, the race is for a good cause.

It's Nuci Space's annual Space Race in Athens on Oct. 24. The race is on UGA's campus and 100% of the proceeds will help provide medical care and professional counseling for uninsured musicians in Athens.

If you're a music fan or if you've simply enjoyed a few local acts over the years in Athens, it's a cause worth your time. You can donate or you can sign up to run yourself -- and potentially help carry me across the finish line -- by visiting Nuci Space's Web site HERE.

OK, that's my shameless plug for the day. How about some links?

-- Macon Dawg handles this week's looking back, looking forward at Dawg Sports, and I have a story in today's Telegraph wondering which of the two the Bulldogs will be doing more of.

-- I'll go on record saying I think it's an awful idea to play the Georgia-Georgia Tech game in the Dome at the start of the season. Maybe I'm crazy, but one of the things I love about college football is that the games are played on campus. I feel the same about Jacksonville. I don't know whether it's fair or not to play there, but I do know I'd much rather watch the game in Athens or Gainesville.

-- Bernie has some important locker notes for the Dawgs this week.

-- Bulldog in Exile asks a question: Is it heart or head that's missing on kickoffs. Every player and coach I talk to (aside from Mark Richt) says that kick coverage is all about heart. But it's hard to look at how Georgia executes and think there's much smarts involved.

-- Bleacher Report is calling for the return of Evil Richt.

-- Georgia has gotten a lot more pressure from its front four the past two weeks, but Tennessee's offensive line provides a steep challenge.

-- Eric Berry's good, but he's not intimidating the Dawgs, according to Fletcher Page. I love Brandon Boykin's quote at the end. I wanted to make a joke when he said it though that, actually, Berry doesn't put his pants on just like everyone else. He has Lane Kiffin come to his house each morning to put his pants on for him.

-- We could see more hurry-up offense from Tennessee this week, but the Lanester is making no promises.

-- Rocky Top Talk wonders if Tennessee's offense is actually improving, given last week's slightly more optimistic results.

-- Chris Low looks at how important this game is for both teams.

-- Georgia outfielder Lyle Allen will miss the upcoming baseball season for academic reasons.

-- Former Georgia pitcher Brian Powell died at age 35.

-- Slate is keeping up with a weekly critical look at each episode of "How I Met Your Mother" and they give high marks to this week's. I agree with their final comment -- the joke about the English degree was great.

-- Speaking of HIMYM, they'll be getting guest appearances from Tim Gunn and Kenny Rogers. Nothing tops Kenny's chicken on "Seinfeld" though.

-- Here's a list of the 13 most fearsome movie teachers of all time. Eet's nod-ah too-mah.

-- And finally, courtesy of Deadspin, one final Mets insult for the season as I wish the Philadelphia Phillies good luck in their quest for a second straight World Series title.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be opposed to playing our away game vs Tech at the Georgia Dome as long as we're getting our fair share of the gate.

At the beginning of the year, though? Yeah, I'd be down with that because then the team has more than a week to prepare. I like it.

I'd really like for the Dawgs to rip off 3-4 in a row against Tech so we can think about rotating Tech off the schedule every other year for Clemson or another regional ACC team. I wouldn't want that now just for the sake of appearances, but I wouldn't mind it once the "old ways" are re-established.

the anonymous suckup said...

How do you put together a list of fearsome teachers without including the Sam Kinison character from Back to School??