My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wednesday Links (10/28)

How about some afternoon links?

-- I have a story in today's Telegraph in which Georgia's defenders say they aren't being lulled into believing the struggles of the Gators' offense.

-- Bernie takes a bit closer look at the Gators' struggles on offense, too, and has some locker notes.

-- Of course, as Senator Blutarsky points out, it's not the Gators' offense that should worry fans. It's that D, which just might be the best ever.

-- Paul Westerdawg has a few suggestions for Mike Bobo on how to attack that vaunted Florida D.

-- And that D will be near full strength, too, as the Gators get four players back from injuries this week.

-- Tony Barnhart thinks Florida is beatable... but maybe not by Georgia.

-- Want one of my keys to the game for Georgia? I think it'll happen before the game even kicks off. If Baccari Rambo is starting, we know the coaching staff took a long, hard look at the team's issues during the bye week. If Bryan Evans is starting, it'll probably be more of the same. Bubba 'N Earl definitely agree.

-- I missed this while on furlough, but Battle Hymn Notes has a really good post exploring how fair it is to compare Brian Van Gorder and Willie Martinez.

-- I'm honestly at a loss to explain why everyone is happy to ignore the fact that Tim Tebow isn't REALLY breaking Herschel Walker's TD record. How hard is it to add bowl stats to regular-season stats? It's freakin' addition for cripe's sake! It's not like there's long division involved!Anyway, old Timmy wants the record.

-- Valdosta State High School (I'm dumb... need more afternoon coffee)is looking for a new head coach, and apparently Eric Zeier is on their radar.

-- Check out some of the swag UGA and Florida might be getting by keeping the game in Jacksonville moving forward.

-- You can hate the Gators, but you can't hate Florida beat writer Jeremy Fowler. Here's one of the reasons he's among the best beat writers in the SEC.

-- And sure, it's not football, but Georgia fans should enjoy making fun of this guy's name for the next few seasons.

-- I did a satirical fake diary for Stacy Searels earlier this week, then came upon one the Red & Black did for Michael Adams. Good stuff.

-- More good news for newspapers: The AJC saw a 23 percent drop in circulation from 2007 to 2008.

-- Of course, with crap like this from supposedly reputable bloggers, perhaps the death of newspapers is farther off than I thought.

-- Pop Candy has a Q&A with "Lost" producer Damon Lindelof that is chock full of interesting tidbits.

-- Our absurdly bad idea for an '80s remake of the week: "Short Circuit." Johnny Five alive... again! I can only assume Guttenberg has been blowing up his agent's cell phone.

-- Do yourself a favor and read this excellent story of a British kid who just so happens to be named Harry Potter.

-- David Spade defends using Chris Farley in his new DirecTV ads.

-- Steve Penner thinks this week's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" may have jumped the shark. It was a little out of left field, I'll admit, but I think I laughed harder during this episode than any all season. And the scene with Larry and Jerry at the restaurant was pure heaven for a "Seinfeld" fan.

-- And finally, "Friday Night Lights" returns tonight -- at least for those of you who get DirecTV. I'm giddy. The LA Times catches you up on what to expect from Season 4 of the best drama on television.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What time and network is friday night lights on?

David Hale said...

DirecTV channel 101, 9 p.m.

If you don't get DirecTV though, NBC will re-broadcast the season beginning in March, I think.

Anonymous said...

David,

That's Valdosta High school, not Valdosta State, in reference to the Zeier link.

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone want the Valdosta job?

It is apparent that the players are all at Lowndes and that Valdosta just is not what they thing they are anymore.

It is a lose-lose situation.

the anomymous suckup said...

David:

I'm a newcomer to Curb Your Enthusiasm. I just started watching it this year. I'm a big fan of Seinfeld, but the few episodes I've seen from this season seem extremely contrived, forced, and not very funny.

It looks like the sort of thing I SHOULD like, but I haven't yet. Maybe if I had started watching it earlier, I would've had a better chance of liking it. Were previous seasons a little less "out there" than the current season?

Oh well...my DVR is set to record it every Sunday night, so I'll keep watching it. Maybe something will click for me.

Chodawg said...

I read the Battle Hymn Notes post on the WM/BVG comparision and I think it misses the bigger picture. Sure, I agree that the SEC now is totally different than it was about 5 years ago, and that BVG and WM faced different levels of competition, so it may not be fair to compare thier numbers against each other. But, what about comparing how they stacked up against the other DCs in the league at thier respective times?


I'm pretty sure BVG handled the SEC in his day as well or better than the other DC's in the league at that time. I don't have all the numbers, but I don't really think there's any room to debate that. In contrast, I know that WM isn't handling today's SEC on par with the other DC's in the league.

Now, in today's "superior" SEC, look at these numbers: In their last 15 games EACH, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina and Auburn, between them all, have not had but ONE game where the opponent has scored more than 35. Only ONE (Ark v. Auburn this year). This includes all the losses that Auburn and Tennessee had during their wretched 2008 seasons. Also, between them all (counting 75 games here), there is less than 8 times where opponents scored more than 30. In Georgia's last 13 games, 7 of its opponents scored AT LEAST 37 points.

To me the proper comparision is this:
BVG was superior to his SEC DC peers.
WM is vastly inferior to his SEC DC peers.

All this talk about the "new SEC" isn't that persuasive when you consider that the DC's for Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee have figured it out...proving that it can be done.

David Hale said...

Suckup -- "Curb" is definitely an acquired taste. I actually hated the show the first season and skipped the second season altogether. Then I had a roommate who really liked it and forced me to start watching it again. Eventually it grew on me and ended up becoming one of my favorite shows.

I'll admit though -- this season has definitely been a bit more contrived than past years, with this week's episode the best example of that.

Barstool69 said...

FNL - Best drama on TV. Period. I can't wait till March, so I'll be watching it on the internet somewhere.

Curb - you guys are crazy. this season has been absolutely hilarious. and I'm a pretty critical of comedies in general.

-Wendy Wheelchair

Carter said...

If someone tells me they don't like Curb, there is a good chance that I wouldn't like them.

"You can't make an empty gesture to a Funkhouser."