My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Recruiting update: Swann on board, what next?

There was a much-needed dose of good news for the Georgia football program on Saturday when Damian Swann, a recruit from Atlanta's Grady High School, made public his commitment to the Bulldogs.

I say "made public," because Swann told Scout.com that he actually committed to head coach Mark Richt in December. Swann said he told Richt he would announce the commitment during Saturday's U.S. Army All-American game, which he then did.

The 6-foot, 175-pound Swann is a four-star prospect according to both Scout.com and Rivals.com, and each recruiting outlet also ranks Swann among its top 100 overall national prospects.

Swann's situation, once he arrives at Georgia, could end up being fairly similar to Branden Smith and Brandon Boykin. Swann is listed as a cornerback, but he's athletic enough to return kicks and play on offense.

“I think they are bringing me in as a corner, but they have talked to me about me being a kick returner for them and that they also plan to put an offensive package in for me too," Swann told Scout.com. "I think I will end up paying both sides of the ball at Georgia like I did in high school and it will be fun.”

Georgia needed the good news after a week in which it went 0-for-2 in recruiting announcements at Wednesday's Under Armour all-star game. It did secure a commitment from Lee County receiver Sanford Seay, but he replaced Zach Witchett, a previous commitment whom Georgia cut ties with over some high school discipline issues.

Now Georgia awaits word on some other prime targets: JUCO defensive tackle John Jenkins, and the remaining group of in-state high school prospects (RB, Isaiah Crowell, DE Ray Drew, TE Jay Rome, CB Malcolm Mitchell).

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I think the biggst things he said were "I have always loved Georgia", and "Im going to turn it around up there"

Its important not only to get good players, but players who have a LOVE for the university.

Not saying that the players there dont have, but its gonna take heart, and a love for the whole thing to be able to hang in there when things are rough....As they are now. Glad to have this kid verbally committed, looking for more needs to be addressed.

Great reporting as always Seth.

gastr1 said...

Dawg Stephen,

You mean like Knowshon Moreno, Matthew Stafford, Mohammed Massaquoi, Musa Smith, and AJ Green? THAT kind of love for the university? I didn;t go to UGA because I had "a love for the university"--it was the best place to study what I wanted. (The love came after enrolling).

They just need good players who want to win.