My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Deleted Scenes: Potpouri Edition

When I went down to Destin, Fla. after Memorial Day, I opened a new Microsoft Word document for transcribing interviews. Since then, I've used the same file for pretty much every interview I've done, but I think we've reached a point -- some 17,000 words later -- in which it's time to move on to a new document.

But when that happens, I like to go back through the quotes I didn't use for whatever reason -- either they didn't fit in the stories I wrote or they just didn't warrant a full story -- and put them into one blog post for you to review. So, here's all the extras from the past six weeks or so, starting with the SEC meetings and ending with last week's player interviews...

Auburn coach Gene Chizik on the fighting between coaches this offseason...
"I can only comment from me. When things need to be said, I say them. When they don't need to be said, I keep quiet. I just call it like it is when I need to call it. I don't feel like things always need to be said on my behalf so I choose my words. That's the way I've always been. I've got so much more to worry about on my plate, I can't worry about what anybody else is saying. I don't pay attention to what's going on out there. I don't get validated by other people, outside resources. I can't speak intelligently about anybody except for Auburn."

Running back Richard Samuel on how he's improved since last season...
"I feel like I've learned a lot from last year, going out there playing and getting some experience, learning the schemes and playing against bigger and faster guys."

Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl on coaches like Georgia's Dennis Felton getting fired midseason...
"If I'm on the hot seat and I'm trying to keep that team together – you've got to win your team over every single year at every level. The more you're losing, the harder it is, and if you add on top of that the fact that you can lose your job in the middle of the year – which now has become a popular option – I think it sets a terrible standard that fans and student athletes have a lot more influence over a decision."

Wide receiver Michael Moore on taking on a leadership role....
"Me and Mo, we felt that was something that needed to change with the young guys being taken care of by the older guys, and it started last year with T.K. and A.J. You saw what happened last year with A.J., coming out of high school and he basically tore the SEC apart. And you kind of feel good about yourself when you look and say you taught him this or that, and now he's out there doing it. It's going to be the same thing with Wooten and Marlon."

Moore on how the receivers need to prepare this offseason...
"We've got to be conditioned. We're going to have to run all game, and we need to make sure our bodies don't wear down."

Linebacker Rennie Curran on how the middle linebacker position might shake out...
"(Akeem) Dent is still playing some Sam, too. Coach (John) Jancek is trying to make sure we get as much crossover training as possible, so he spreads it out a little bit. But thankfully we've got a good amount of depth there."

Linebacker Akeem Dent on his approach to playing linebacker...
"I just basically go out and try to give it my all. Sometimes other guys might make the plays, but it's just like playing D line where the D lineman gets the pressure and the guy who gets the interception gets all the credit for it. So I'm just trying to go out there and help the team."

Offensive lineman Vince Vance on last year's loss to Georgia Tech...
"It was just disappointment. They're all hard to swallow. In the SEC, nobody likes losing, and the losses aren't any good no matter how you look at it."

Linebacker Marcus Dowtin on the depth at linebacker this year...
"We've got a really athletic group of linebackers that can contribute in all different types of ways, so Coach Jancek, I hope he'll have a good time using us."

Wide receiver Tavarres King on injured receiver Kris Durham...
"We watch film a couple days a week and he's in there with the young guys coaching them up. He's a smart kid, and he's getting those guys ready."

Quarterback Joe Cox on what he's seen from freshmen receivers Marlon Brown and Rantavious Wooten...
"They both look good and all the freshmen that have come in that I've seen so far have the ability to help this year. It's just going to depend on who's ready by the time the season rolls around to contribute."

Left tackle Trinton Sturdivant on how the line will handle the lack of pass blocking tight ends on Georgia's roster...
"I don't think that we are looking for the pressure. I know it's going to come, but we're hoping that Arthur Lynch or Orson Charles or Aron can come in and be able to block with the best, and if not you can always put a backup offensive lineman over there. But I don't feel the tight end spot is going to be that big of a drop off, but we won't really find out until camp starts."

Sturdivant on the Bulldogs' team-first approach...
"From looking at the team them and now, I feel like now we are placed with pressure on ourselves. We're not dependent on Stafford or Knowshon or Massaquoi to just score us 100 points. We're putting it on ourselves to do what we have to do to win."

Samuel on the running back competition right now...
"We don't even really pay attention to it or talk about it or anything. We just go out there and try to help each other out. If we see someone doing something wrong, we try to help them. We know it's competition in the back of our heads, but we don't see it like that. We're just trying to do the best we can."

Defensive tackle Jeff Owens on the mental side of recovering from a serious injury...
"That's with any injury. If you had a car accident, you'd be afraid to get into a car again. Everyone has that mental block, so you just have to fight through it and just prepare because you know what's going to happen. Just go out and play, and try not to focus on it."

Linebacker Marcus Washington on Joe Cox's ability to motivate the team...
"You've got to be able to talk to be a coach and mean what you say and say what you mean. He's a commanding guy, and when he says something, you know Joe means it."

Defensive end Demarcus Dobbs on Cox's attitude...
(on Joe Cox) "He's always positive. No matter what, he's a positive guy. On the field or off the field, he's the kind of person you want to be around. We've been friends for a while and he just brings the best out of people and that's what you want in a leader."

Dobbs on players without starting experience, like Cox, taking leadership roles...
"No, not at all, There are plenty of people behind the scenes that lead the team that nobody ever hears about because they aren't on the field making plays. Even though he's been behind people, Joe's been playing a leadership role. This is just another opportunity for Joe. Everyone talked the same way when David Greene left, and look what D.J. (Shockley) did."

Cornerback Branden Smith on working with A.J. Green....
"It's going to work out good because he's going to be giving me tips because I'm his teammate. We both want to win, and to make me better, I'm going to be learning from him. Looking at him, following what he does, it's going to make me better on both sides of the ball."

Smith on playing on both sides of the ball this season...
"Wherever Coach Richt wants me to play, that's where I'll play. He knows what it's going to take to win, and that's what I'm all about. I want to win, and it doesn't matter how many interceptions I have or any touchdowns, it's all about winning and having fun. All I'm thinking about is putting a 'W' on the board."

Moore on the focus on fundamentals from new receivers coach Tony Ball...
"I think it's going to help out everybody. Without your technique, you can't do too much. If you can't separate from the DB, you're not going to be able to catch the ball. Especially with a new quarterback behind center, everybody has to work on their technique to be that much better and get open for him."

Defensive end Kiante Tripp on the recovery of lineman Trinton Sturdivant...
"Trinton looks good out there conditioning-wise and stuff like that. He's running better and it seems like his knee's not bothering him as much as it was at first, so he looks pretty good."

Dent on the competition for playing time at middle linebacker...
"All of us, we're real curious about how things are going to play out, but it's going to come down to who's going to have a good camp, and who's willing to go out on a limb and be the toughest guy out there. And I know all of us are going to go out there and compete for that job."

Tailback Carlton Thomas on what he accomplished this spring...
"I think I put myself in a very good spot to open some coaches' eyes and let them know I can do some things, that I am a tough runner, that I can get the yards that they need and I can make plays."

Wide receiver Israel Troupe on the lack of depth at receiver this season...
"We look at it as an opportunity, but the only thing that would put a damper on it would be if someone gets hurt and we don't have anyone else to step in."

Tavarres King on having Orson Charles and Branden Smith playing part-time at receiver...
"It's really not odd at all. They're tremendous athletes and I feel like they can play anywhere. Orson's awesome, Branden can run like a gazelle, so I feel like it's nothing for them."

King on the attitude Charles brings...
"He's always ready to go. You can tell he's got his head on his shoulders. He's focused, he's excited, and he's a smooth cat."

No comments: