My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thanks for a Great Year

With the start of SEC Media Days right around the corner, I took a few minutes the other day to go back and re-read my first blog post. It was one year ago today that I wrote it, propped uncomfortably on a disheveled bed in a Days Inn in Hoover, Ala. with spotty Internet access. That seems like a long time ago now (although the Internet access is still spotty).

Looking back, I think my favorite post from the blog is still one of my first . Some people go their entire careers without getting material as funny as Dicky Lyons provided during my third day of work. I guess I'm sort of like Dan Marino -- I hit the pinnacle early and will spend the rest of my career trying to get back.

Sadly, Mr. Lyons won't be back at Media Days this year, and he's not the only one. Instead of Phil Fulmer being served a subpeona in the lobby, Lane Kiffin will be there to pick a fight with Steve Spurrier. Instead of Sly Croom babbling about the series of tubes, Dan Mullen will be talking about Mississippi State's new offense. And instead of Paul Dehner and I snubbing Tommy Tuberville, pretty much every non-Auburn media member will be generally disinterested in Gene Chizik.

But hey, people come and people go. At least three of last year's Bulldogs beat writers won't be back this year, and I guess I'm pretty lucky to be around for a second season.

When I wrote that first blog post a year ago, it wasn't just the first one I'd written for the Telegraph. It was the first one I'd written period -- save the occasional blurb on MySpace. But things have gone exceedingly well, mostly due to the great people at University of Georgia, the patience and assistance of the staffs at the Telegraph and Ledger-Enquirer, a lot of support from my fellow reporters and bloggers who have linked to my work, and mostly, the immensely passionate Georgia fans who come here regularly to read about their team.

In the past year, I've written 1,150 posts and the blog has racked up well over 1 million page views. To be honest, I'm not sure that's a lot, but it certainly has seemed like it thanks to all the kind words, insightful emails and hilarious comments you guys have offered since we launched. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

But, looking back doesn't get you very far, so I'm definitely excited to begin Year 2 which begins Wednesday with the start of SEC Media Days 2009.

So, to get you primed for what's in store, here's a run down of your need-to-know items for the week ahead.

SCHEDULE: (Note: all times CENTRAL)

Wednesday

12:30 p.m. SEC Commissioner Mike Slive
12:45 p.m. ESPN-SEC
1:10 p.m. Vanderbilt (head coach Bobby Johnson, cornerback Myron Lewis and center Bradley Vierling) and Arkansas (head coach Bobby Petrino, tackle Malcolm Sheppard and tight end D.J. Williams.
3:10 p.m. Mississippi State (head coach Dan Mullen, lineman Derek Sherrod and linebacker K.J. Wright) and Kentucky (head coach Rich Brooks, lineman Zipp Duncan and cornerback Trevard Lindley).

Thursday

8:40 a.m. Alabama (head coach Nick Saban, lineman Mike Johnson and linebacker Rolando McClain) and Georgia (head coach Mark Richt, quarterback Joe Cox and tackle Jeff Owens).
10:40 a.m. Mississippi (head coach Houston Nutt, defensive end Greg Hardy and quarterback Jevan Snead) and Florida (head coach Urban Meyer, quarterback Tim Tebow and linebacker Brandon Spikes).

Friday

8:40 a.m. Auburn (head coach Gene Chizik, defensive end Antonio Coleman and tight end Tommy Trott) and South Carolina (head coach Steve Spurrier, wide receiver Moe Brown and linebacker Eric Norwood).
10:40 a.m. Tennessee (head coach Lane Kiffin, safety Eric Berry and running back Montario Hardesty) and LSU (head coach Les Miles, lineman Ciron Black and linebacker Jacob Cutrera).

OTHER NOTES:

-- Don't forget to follow all the up-to-the-minute action on Twitter. You can follow me HERE . You can also get running commentary from the SEC's Twitter feed HERE or HERE (the latter one will be updating quotes throughout). And since Jeff Owens will be Georgia's player rep, you might get a few nuggets out of his feed HERE.

-- I had originally planned on doing a lot more with Facebook when we started the blog last year, but alas, it never really developed. Perhaps I'll post some photos, etc. this week, however, if you're interested in befriending me. Otherwise, you can hitch your wagon the SEC's Facebook page HERE.

-- The media's preseason predictions and All-SEC Teams will be released Friday.

-- I'll have daily stories and notes at Macon.com and Ledger-Enquirer.com.

-- And finally, I want to know what you are hoping to learn from SEC Media Days. If you have a question you want me to find answers to, send me an email by CLICKING HERE.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great year! Thanks for keeping us informed about the day to day news of the Georgia Bulldogs.

Also, Thanks for posting my blog and a few of my posts as well. You have been a real help. Thank you very much.

Unknown said...

Read your blog daily, David. You provide a great read during my lunch hour and it's a nice distraction from my daily routine. Congrats on a great year.

the anonymous suckup said...

David:

After seeing that you have over one million page views, I'm honored to say that I'm responsible for about 0.1% of those.

Congratulations on a fabulous freshman year. Thank God Richt didn't redshirt you...

the anonymous suckup said...

One more thing, David...

Are the times you listed EDT or CDT?

DawgOnTap said...

I gotta tell you, I was worried when Ching left because he did a great job. No need to worry, though. You've done a great job.

Anonymous said...

GATA, David. Great 1st year!

David Hale said...

My bad -- I should have noted those times are all CENTRAL.

Universal Remonster said...

Thanks for all the great posts David, you've made the both the season and off-season more entertaining.

Cousin Pat said...

Congratulations on Year 1. I hope there are many to come.

papadawg said...

Great year. Keep up the excellent work. We appreciate it.