My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Georgia's Film Connoisseur

Hitting the books is an integral part of finding classroom success for every college freshman, but cornerback Brandon Boykin said his first year of Georgia taught him how important studying was to improving his game on the field, too.

After seeing limited action as a freshman last year, Boykin had a monster spring and is now slated to be the starting cornerback when fall practice begins next month. The drastic improvement, he said, is due in large part to all the extra study time he put in during the past year.

"Definitely spending more time in the film room," Boykin said. "Once I got to college, I realized that you couldn't just go out there and play. That's really what I'm doing right now, and I feel like the more film I watch, the easier it is to make plays. Just going out on pass drills every Tuesday and Thursday, I'm able to see things develop. It's coming easier to me now."

It's not that Boykin was averse to putting in some extra study time before, but it wasn't until he arrived at Georgia that he really saw how much the additional preparation helped. It was a lesson he learned firsthand from Asher Allen, the man Boykin figures to replace as Georgia's starting cornerback in 2009.

"That was one thing that separated Asher that I saw," Boykin said. "He was always prepared for every game, and he knew what the offense was going to do, and that allowed him to make a lot more plays. That's what I was trying to focus on this spring. Just getting more familiar with the playbook, and I feel like I have, and I feel a lot more comfortable at the position. I feel like I can see things developing earlier now, which allows me to be able to make plays."

1 comment:

IveyLeaguer said...

It's really good news to hear we have more guys this year who are serious about the film room.

Georgia has suffered from lack of leadership for 3 years now, with last year being the most obvious. Let's hope that terrible cycle is over, and a new ethic has replaced it.

~~~