My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Urban Meyer steps down

We can only assume it sticks this time.

In a move that apparently was in the works for some time, Florida announced that head coach Urban Meyer is stepping down.


“I have been a Division I football coach for the last 25 years and, during that time, my primary focus has been helping my teams win titles,” Meyer said. “I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and I am a fierce competitor to my core. At this time in my life, however, I appreciate the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field. The decision to step down was a difficult one.

“But after spending more than two decades motivating and celebrating the young men I’ve been so proud to coach, I relish the opportunity to cheer for my three terrific kids as they compete in their own respective sports. I know how fortunate I am to be in a position to make this choice and to have a family that is as loving and supportive as my amazing wife and children have always been.”


So what else can you say but ... Wow.

That, and this one actually seems final. For no other reason than even if Meyer has second thoughts this time, Jeremy Foley may not have the patience to let him un-resign this time.

So who replaces Meyer? Well, allow me to quote David Pollack on Twitter just now:

"If (Dan) Mullen isn't the guy to replace Urban then my Name is not David Pollack."

Actually, part of me wonders if Mullen to Florida is so obvious that it won't happen. But until Mullen comes out and says he's staying at Mississippi State, all eyes will be on him.

By the way, lemme get this straight: Of the two teams in the Outback Bowl, it's the 46-year-old coach of Florida who is retiring, not the 83-year-old coach of Penn State? OK, just checking.

----

My friend Brian, an Auburn graduate who has lived in Gainesville for several years, called me this afternoon to report on the state of mind of Gator-land.

"For a coach with his record, there's a remarkable lack of sorrow for this," Brian said.

People weren't crying in the streets or thanking Meyer for his work, according to my friend. Instead the conversations tended to focus on who would replace him. From an outsider's perspective, Brian thinks Gator fans have become a bit spoiled.

----

Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity, who worked at Florida until August, released a short statement:

"I wish Urban, Shelley, and their children only the very best wherever his career path may lead."

----

So Georgia fans, what say you? Will you miss Meyer? Will this be a good thing for Georgia?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richt couldn't beat Ron Zook. So it doesn't matter who Florida gets Richt is going to have trouble winning.

Nate said...

We could only beat the Gators once when they had the Zooker. Kind of makes me think it does not matter who the coach is.

Unknown said...

We may have only beaten Zook once but at least we won SEC Championships. Meyer leaving is a good thing for UGA.

Nate said...

How does Meyer leaving Florida make us more competitive against other SEC teams? He has not stolen too many prized recruits from our state and we have not really battled Florida and lost on that many recruits outside of GA. Outside of a minimal impact on recruiting, how exactly does it help us? The point is, we need to learn how to beat Florida consistently and we have not done that in 20 years regardless of who their coach is/was.

Anonymous said...

Well, the odds are pretty good that they're going to replace him with someone equally as competent (if not more so), who will recruit just as well, and keep Florida every bit as competitive. So while I'll certainly enjoy knowing that Urban Meyer is no longer a part of the SEC community, I really don't see this turning out to be especially good news for UGA ... or anyone else in the East, for that matter.

Calif Dawg said...

I figured UGA would have a 7-5 season next year and go get Mullen. I hate seeing him go to FLA. He beat UGA when he was at UF and MSU. He will know how to work with the talent in place at UF because he recruited most of them.

Anonymous said...

Problem is, teams are winning with hype as much as anything nowadays...both in recruits and in games. Used to be, recruiting would be hurt for years after a coaching change until a staff developed relationships. Now, its what kids want. Fast. That's what I hate for Coach R. He's not a hype guy.

Anonymous said...

AGAIN?

Anonymous said...

Having an a****** like Urban Meyer leave is a great thing for the SEC. On the field it will be a neutral move for UGA.

Anonymous said...

No one will be better for UF than Timmy and Urbs was, so of course it is at best a lateral step for UF and most likely a step backwards. Just as Brantley could only ever equal Tebow, and of course, couldn't do that.

Will they drop off the map, no, but then again they were only 9-7 in the SEC under Meyer without Tebow.

They were also spanked pretty bad this year by a 9-3 ALA team and a mediocre FSU team.

Unknown said...

My comments (see the 3rd comment) are based on simple history. UGA fared better when Spurrier and Meyer were not the head coaches at UF. The next coach could be another great coach and win multiple SEC titles and national titles which would make my arguement moot. Until that is proven, Meyer not being UFs coach is great for UGA.

Kaylen said...

i live in gainesville and attend UF, and your friend's statement on the the attitude of most gator fans is correct. i would ssy 75%+ of my gator friends so far are focused on who the replacement is, and getting the program 'back' to where it was previously. not much thanks to meyer going around.

Anonymous said...

Once again UGA is slow to the punch. UF will hire Mullen and UGA is still stuck with Richt. Too bad on another missed opportunity if Mullen goes to Florida. No matter who the coach Richt will simply lose to UF.

Anonymous said...

Buster-

WTF man? Really? You hate D. Pollack?

That is absurd.