My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pregame brrrrrr ... I mean, blog

11:55 a.m.: Alec Ogletree starting?

A hunch I had earlier in the week is apparently being confirmed. Freshman Alec Ogletree might be getting the first start of his career, at free safety.

Ogletree lined up with the defensive starters in warmups. I'm also told that Richt said Ogletree would start in his pregame radio show.

Vance Cuff was also in the starting line, along with Brandon Boykin at cornerback.

Also, Washaun Ealey is stretching with the first-teamers, so he apparently gets the early nod at tailback again. But I'd still expect an even split with Ealey and King, and plenty of Carlton Thomas too.

11:50 a.m.: The fans trickle in

Between the weather, the opponent, and the Florida loss, this stands to be the lowest turnout at a Georgia home game in some time. We're about 45 minutes from kickoff, and even the student section is slow to fill up.

I can't say I blame anybody. This is why you don't want any more of these non-regional opponents: Earlier in the season, enough people would still be curious about Georgia, the young and unproven players, etc., that the opponent wouldn't matter.

But now everyone has seen a lot of the Bulldogs. So a team like, I don't know, Georgia State, might arouse a bit more curiosity. Or a team like The Citadel would at least bring a few thousand fans.

As it is, this one should just be termed the Nobody Get Hurt Bowl.

11:20 a.m.: Ice cream, really?

No surprises on the injury front: WR Kris Durham (bruised lung) and LB Mike Gilliard (hamstring) are out of uniform. I didn't see anybody else of note, though I suspect if certain people get so much as a hangnail early on they won't return.

Meanwhile, the press box food includes an offering of ice cream, despite the frigid temperatures. So wait, this late in the season, and they finally start offering ice cream? I suppose in three weeks, for the Georgia Tech game, they'll be passing out pudding pops.

10:40 a.m.: I'm freezing

Greetings from the outdoor press box at Sanford Stadium, where I wish I'd brought a pair of mittens and some of that hot chocolate that Mark Richt really likes.

It feels like it's in the 40s right now, but they're saying the temperature around game time is supposed to be in the low 50s. Not much better, but at least this isn't a night game.

There wasn't a lot of traffic coming into the stadium today. So even though this is a sellout, I'd be expecting ... what ... maybe between 70-80,000 in the stands?

As we get ready, and get coffee, a few items:

- My gameday breakdown, where I tell you more about Idaho State than you ever knew, wanted to know, or will ever remember.

- My gameday feature story on Orson Charles, the tight end who has a chance to be an all-time great at Georgia, according to coaches. As long as they can get him the ball.

No comments: