My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Still Waiting...

Greetings from the Butts-Mehre building over at UGA. Practice is set to begin in about a half an hour -- at 4:45 p.m. -- and the players are going 20 periods. That's going to make for a long day, and I probably won't have a post with practice notes until around 8 or 8:30.

In the meantime, if you have some burning questions you want to ask as we get set for our first round of post-practice interviews with the team, fire away in the comments section and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

UPDATE: Just got in from the practice fields. Watching periods 1-4 of practice is always pretty useless, but who can argue with being out on the field on a day like today? Anyway, not a ton to report. I shot a bit of video, but didn't get much before my batteries died for the 743rd straight time I've tried to use this camera. Matthew Stafford, Dannell Ellerbe and former Bulldog (and Macon native) George Foster were in attendance for the practice session. John Eason may have moved to an administrative role, but he was right back on the sidelines to watch his receivers get their first day of practice in. Oh, and Dallas Lee got a quick introduction to what it's like to play for Stacy Searels. Let's just say he got an earful pretty early on. And coincidentally, his Buford High coach was on hand to watch.

And more news... they've got tow trucks lined up to take players' and reporters' cars away yet again. My suggestion -- since they got him so many times last year -- was for Stafford to use his money from his first pro contract to build the "Matthew Stafford Players-Only Parking Garage" next to Butts-Mehre. He'd be a legend among future Bulldogs.

16 comments:

Bernie said...

Yes...have you ever read the Dan Magill speech (mostly typed with some hand written notes) to the Augusta Bulldog Club from back in '72, adjacent to the elevators in BM? Highly recommend it if you haven't....and have even more time to kill...

Dan Magill = DamnGoodDawg

Anonymous said...

DH,
Let me know if the players and coaches bring that new attitude to work today. It will be evidenced in passion which manifests itself on the football field in minor skirmishes. I'm hoping for mini-fight to break out every hour or so!!

dawgdayafternoon said...

Defensive news please. How do Houston, & Tripp (especially) look at DE? Who is getting the most reps in the secondary? Are Gamble and Dent still playing in their flipped positions as per the depth chart. Additionally, what is Logan Gray spending the majority of his time working on? Thanks for the info and must read blog!

David Hale said...

Should have some news on Kiante and the linebackers today. I'm hoping to do something bigger on Logan early next week after we have a little better sense of how things are shaping up on the depth chart.

Probably talking to Carlton Thomas and Caleb King today, too. And I'll check in on how Kris Durham plans to celebrate his 21st.

David Hale said...

So who do you guys like in the tourney? I'm leaning toward Pitt, Carolina, Wake and Memphis... I'd honestly like all four #1s but just can't bring myself to do it.

Bernie said...

I like Carolina and Pitt. Wake...?? Nah...Mich State. Can't say I like Memphis either. They look the part but haven't played a lot of great teams....think I'll go with a Mizzou or Washington from that regional.

David Hale said...

Washington's flows so far under the radar I just don't know enough about them.

I actually like L'ville better than Wake for sure, but didn't want to pick another No. 1 seed. Mich St might be OK, but they play down to their competition too much and I think the Big Ten was way overrated this year.

Missou... maybe, but my Syracuse journalism program ties make me hate Missou unnecessarily.

MikeInValdosta said...

DH,

How much contact will thee be this Spring? With the renewed emphasis on tackling to the ground will they be running more tackling drills? Do mat drills take place on the many off days during spring? Are there any temporary position changes, or players being asked to go both ways during spring sue to the number of injuries?


As for the tourney, any of the big three from the Big East (although one of them played a lot of basketball last week), Memphis and UNC. Personally, I will be rooting for Starkville.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Don't take UNC...I live here in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area and unless Lawson is 100%, UNC is NOT the team. That said, if Lawson is 100% by some miracle, UNC is the team to beat.

Personally I'm taking them deep, but even if Lawson gets healthy, he'll stub that toe somehow over a 6 game tourney and once he sits, UNC loses.

I like Wake and Pitt a lot. Don't know if Mizzou can overcome UConn in the Elite 8. Big East is pretty freakin' good with the round ball...

David Hale said...

I think Miss St has the best chance of any of the SEC teams to win in Round 1.

As for the contact, Richt is expecting plenty of it, but rather than finishing up drills after X number of minutes, coaches will be counting individual reps for guys. That way they don't overdo it for guys because the injuries have spread them so thin, but everyone is getting their work in.

Oh, and mat drills are done for the year.

Anonymous said...

so after 1-4 you don't get to watch any more, correct?

Anonymous said...

The tow truck brigade;

It has been documented that parking services go out of their way to tow players/coaches etc...cars. Complete and utter BS. If that department burned down, I would dance as the flames engulfed their building.

Anonymous said...

I seriously hope that the first day of practice resembles that scene from The Program where its just intense drills (minus the steroids of course) and players jacked up to play. So on that note, can you mention any guys that seem to be "lighting it up", so to speak, be it a big hit, a Knowshown-type cartwheel or handspring, just something out of the ordinary that shows that these boys are excited to be playing, and playing for the dawgs. Thanks

Bernie said...

Ty - after reading your post, you REALLY need to visit Bubba 'N Earl's blog today.

And sounds like Searels is on his game. Go Dawgs!

Anonymous said...

haha you know Bernie I finally got a chance to run down the list of bookmarks when i was writing that comment and Bubb n' earl were like two links down from this one. sure enough I published it, made it to their site, and about fell over at the coincidence. I guess Bulldawgs think on the same frequency lol

David Hale said...

I appreciate the enthusiasm guys, but a quick note: the NCAA limits the number of "full contact" days they can have during the spring, so today wasn't one of those days.

Richt seemed really encouraged by the energy at practice though, and from what I watched, the guys were into it. I'm sure for most of them it was just exciting to get back out on the field.

Oh, and I was going to have a good interview with George Foster today about the Lions' interest in Stafford.... but UGA towed his car. I'm not making that up.