My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Shawn Williams: 'I take that loss myself'

Shawn Williams is accepting blame for Arkansas’ game-winning touchdown on Saturday.

That may be shouldering too much blame, since all Williams could have done was tackle Childs, who still would have been down in field goal position. But that doesn’t appear to matter to Williams.

“I take that loss myself, because I think I should’ve made the tackle,” Williams said after Monday’s practice. “But it is what it is. I can’t look back. I can’t change it. But if I could I would.”

Childs caught the pass at the 25, which would have been in field goal range anyway.
But he cut past Williams and reached the end zone with 15 seconds left.

Childs was asked by media in Fayetteville on Monday if Williams thought Childs was trying to get out of bounds.

“I don’t know what he was thinking. But he was thinking the wrong thing,” Childs said.

Williams was asked about Childs' comment.

“I really couldn’t say,” he said. “It’s not a guessing game. It’s a matter of how you react. I just over-ran it.”

Williams said the Bulldogs were in a zone coverage. Cornerback Sanders Commings was first lined up on Childs, then moved to pick up tight end D.J. Williams, leaving Childs wide open near the sideline.

Asked if another defender could have helped, Williams shook his head.

“It’s just my fault, and I missed the tackle,” he said. “That one’s on me.”

On a better note, Williams said his family has purchased a new home in Early County.

Their previous one burned down in July.

“They’re doing good,” Williams said of his family.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Thanks Shawn, you are being a little too hard on yourself, but we do appreciate how much you care.

Now shake it off, get up, GATA this week. We are behind ya.

Anonymous said...

I love to hear players take some responsibility even though there were numerous reasons why we lost. Grantham and Bobo could take some lessons from guys like Shawn and stop throwing other people under the bus like they did after the Arky game.

And great to hear about Shawn's new house. That's awesome.

stevo said...

The defense was in a 2 deep set. The linebackers had the TE and the CB cheated up, let the receiver run by him thus leaving too much space for the safety to cover. Not his fault. I blame the loss on the TO called with 1:04 left on 3rd down after Arkansas blew down the field at the end of the 1st half. Should have let the clock run down or at least make Arkansas use a TO.

Anonymous said...

Keep your head up, young man. One game's goat will always get a chance to be the next game's hero. One of the best examples of that comes from the hated Auburn Tigers. Their kicker missed 5 FG's in Red Stick against LSU and they lost the game. He kept his chin up and then ended up drilling the game winning FG to beat us in Athens. You'll get a shot at redemption, Shawn. GO DAWGS!!!