My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

UGA president Adams discusses Green suspension

University of Georgia president Michael Adams declined to criticize the NCAA’s decision on A.J. Green, and said the school did everything it could in the appeal process.

Adams also feels that it’s time to “move on.”

“It’s certainly not too light,” Adams said of Green’s four-game suspension, which was upheld on appeal Friday. “And yet I’m not in the position to criticize the NCAA. They are trying to send a message (about) contact with agents, or runners, or representatives. And I don’t think AJ knew what he was dealing with. And I think that’s part of why they stuck with the four games.”

Pressed, Adams said he would “be surprised if (Green) knew this guy was an agent.” But Adams also thinks the player “knows” that.

“Frankly I think it’s time to move on. I’m not exactly sure, you guys could probably explain this to me better than I could to you. He’s a star player, he’s an important player, I understand all of that,” Adams said.

“But we’re gonna have 85 more out there today, and I think they’re ready. They are stars, but you don’t build one season around one player. And I think it’s time to move on. And as I said, maybe at the end of the year, maybe he’s fresher than some of those defensive backs that are covering him. I’ll try to look on the bright side.”

Green is set to return for Georgia’s game at Colorado on Oct. 2.

Adams didn’t have any specific details of the Green case, saying he was not on the appeal call to the NCAA, which happened Friday.

“There’s just not much that somebody in a position like mine can do on something like this,” Adams said. “You can spend the money, you can get the best counsel, and get the best advice you can get and make the appeal. I will say I think the university did everything to help him that the university could.”

No comments: