My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dewberry's Summer Job

Suspended linebacker Darius Dewberry said his two summer jobs aren't interfering with practice, but they have taught him a valuable lesson.

Dewberry was suspended after he admitted to destroying several flower planters and a parking barricade at St. Mary's Hospital in Athens the weekend before camp opened. He will miss the first two games of the season as punishment, but also is working two jobs on campus in the morning and at St. Mary's during the evening to repay the damage bill at the hospital.

"I'm feeling pretty good. I'm handing everything well," Dewberry said. "I know I've got to do it, so no need to complain about it."

Dewberry said he was working at Tucker Hall on Georgia's campus from 8 a.m. to noon each day, but would have to quit that position once school starts next week. He then goes to practice until six, grabs some dinner, and goes to St. Mary's from 8 p.m. until midnight.

At St. Mary's, Dewberry said he has been doing maintenance work and helping security. More importantly, he said, he's realized how bad his decision to damage the property was in the first place.

"I know I messed up, so I realize I need to deal with it," Dewberry said. "I look for the good in it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course, no one in the national media will bother to report this story...but I still like to see the fact that he's making good.

As someone who made stupid decisions while at UGA (and in fact found myself arrested at one point) this is a great sign. He seems to have fully accepted responsibility and I hope (and believe) that he has learned from his mistake.

18-22 year old kids (young men in particular) make many stupid decisions. The important thing is that they learn from them and make it a part of the man you become.

Best wishes to the namesake of one of my favorite beverages and to Coach Richt for presenting a punishment which actually fits the crime.