My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday Links (8/20)

It's Wednesday, it's 10 days to football season, it's time to party. I'm your excellent host David Hale, and with me as always is the links...

-- Here are the preseason rankings from the least professional person not named Skip Bayless currently working in sports, Mr. Colin Cowherd. Sorry to offend any of his loyal listeners, but as someone who actually paid for journalism school, I'm personally offended by people who spout uninformed opinions in the hopes it will make enough people mad to drive up their ratings, then refer to themselves as "journalists." Call it a pet peeve. I also hate when people talk with their mouths full. I'm funny like that.

-- Dawgs Online comments on Danny Ware's big night Monday. Ware was always one of my favorite quotes when I covered the Bulldogs a few years back. He never pulled punches, and always said what was on his mind. That was probably a lot better for my career than for his.

-- Speaking of former Dawgs now in the NFL, Brandon Coutu had a nice game, too. Oh, and if you're interested in kickers, check out my story from today's paper on Blair Walsh. He assures me he selects kickers way too early in his fantasy football leagues, which may earn him an invite for the open spot we have in our league.

-- The AJC's Chip Towers breaks the cone of silence that surrounds offensive line coach Stacy Searles -- sort of. (SIDE NOTE: I'm thrilled the McCain-Obama debate over the weekend brought the phrase "cone of silence" back into the mainstream.)

-- USA Today has an excellent story on another home now divided between Georgia and Clemson loyalties. What is it with Clemson QBs?

-- The Athens Banner-Herald has a story on Vince Vance's improved play this preseason.

-- I'm linking to this story about the Sturdivant injury just because it makes me happy to think people in France are concerned about it.

-- Two legal stories for the day... First, the crazy one: Warner Robins is outlawing baggy pants. Personally, I'm not a big fan of looking at guys' boxer shorts either, but I have to imagine lawmakers and law enforcers have better things to do with their time. And second, a number of college presidents are hoping to have the drinking age lowered from 21 to 18.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that Colin Cowheard refers to himself as a journalist. I've listend to his show several times and have never heard him talk of himself in that way (quite the opposite, in fact).

David Hale said...

Yes, I have, and yes, I've heard him criticize "other journalists" for not doing their job well. Just a pet peeve of mine. I don't knock anyone who enjoys the show... just annoys the heck out of me.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Colin, you just ranked 4 teams (1/3) of the weakest conference in football in your Top 25. Go ACC!!! Having South Carolina at 18 should pay off as well.

Do us all a favor, leave the rankings to the big boys and go get ready for your date with Mark May.

Anonymous said...

uga will not win the champ. get over it! brand new offense line....don't think so. ohh and here's a stat of the day. the sec is 3-4 against the big ten and 1-4 against the big east over the past 2 years....gooooo dominance!

Anonymous said...

Here's a stat for you:

Ohio State: 0-9 all time against the SEC.

Unless your plan is for UM or Wisc. to get into the Champ. game, I'd say that one is more relevant.